October 25, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 329: God of Glory


God of Glory

"Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness. The voice of the LORD is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the LORD thunders over the mighty waters." (Psalm 29:2,3 NIV)

I have a beautiful and talented friend who plays, arranges, and writes music. At the bottom of her pieces, she writes "Soli Deo gloria: "Glory to God alone." Whatever accolades, whatever awe, whatever applause the music might inspire, it belongs only to God.

"Soli Deo gloria."

I want to want this to be the song of my life. Whatever I might do, whatever I might accomplish, whatever I might "achieve," I want to want the acclaim to go to God.

This is all for the best, including my best. Human beings were not created to handle glory. We don't know what to do with it. It lifts us up temporarily, but then it lets us down. It thrills us temporarily, but then it disappoints us. We initially react to it by bowing low in humility, but ultimately pride trips us up.

Our uncreated God, on the other hand, is perfectly equipped to handle glory, because everything glorious originates with Him and in Him. When we give God the glory, we are only putting that glory in its rightful place.

Soli Deo gloria. Glory to God alone.

May this be the song we sing today. May it be the anthem of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!