October 11, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 315: More Awesome Than All


More Awesome Than All

"In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared; he is more awesome than all who surround him." (Psalm 89:7 NIV)

A couple days ago, my college student texted and told me her stomach was hurting. I asked the usual mom questions. She answered in the negative. I told her to go to her campus health clinic. She said she would the next day if she was still having trouble. The following morning, I messaged and asked how she was feeling.

"Much, much better," she responded right away.

I thought when I read her words how far beyond better "much, much better" goes. That one extra, repeated word answered all my questions and settled the matter.

God's Word is filled with declarations and promises made bolder or more reassuring through expansion and repetition. God sets us down at one point...and then takes us beyond it.

God is awesome, but even beyond that, He is "more awesome than all" (Psalm 89:7).

God promises not to leave us or forsake us, but even beyond that, He promises to "never, never, never, never, never" leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). The original Greek has five negatives...a fistful of reassurance that we need not fear the absence of His presence.

God is holy, but even beyond that, He is "holy, holy, holy" (Revelation 4:8).

God is able to do what we ask or think, but even beyond that, He is "able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20). (I love this: just when you think He's done, God keeps going.)

Oh friends, life on this earth is hard. We are often struggling.

But life is better with God.

Much, much better.

And with Him, we have the assurance that one day, this holy, holy, holy God will set us down in a place exceedingly, abundantly above all we ask or think—a place where we will be in the presence of the One who is more awesome than all, and we will never, never, never, never, never have to leave.

1 comment:

  1. Some versions also use immeasurably with Abundantly, and exceedingly...A beautiful benediction.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!