October 17, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 321: Reviver


Reviver

**A Names of God guest post by Shannon Lenz**

"For this is what the high and exalted One says—he who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.' " (Isaiah 57:15 NIV)

I bought a beautiful mum a few weeks ago. And then forgot to water it for several warm days. I was so disappointed to come out and see how dead it looked. 


Tons of brown, crunchy blossoms. I hoped it wasn’t too far gone.

But I couldn’t just let it go. So I took a pair of scissors to it and was excited to see that there was plenty of life left in it. Beautiful green foliage underneath. When I checked it in the morning, tiny new buds were sprouting all over. 

Soon, it’s going to bush out with new life because all of the dead parts are gone.

Made me think of my relationship with Jesus. Spiritually dead. But Jesus cut away the dead parts. And now, new life keeps sprouting. I wasn’t too far gone, and He didn’t just let me go.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come" (2 Corinthians 5:17).


Shannon Lenz is a writer with a passion for studying God’s word. On her blog, Shannon Lenz: My Faith-My Family-My Stories (shannonlenz.com), she shares what God is teaching her through His word and through her experiences as a wife and mom. Her writing has also been published at Her View From Home. You can find her on Facebook at @ShannonMLenz.

Shannon is a former teacher turned stay-at-home mom. When she’s not writing or chasing kids, she’s reading a book or singing (in the car, at the kitchen sink, or with the praise team at church). She makes her home in Giltner, Nebraska with her husband, Stuart, their two small children, Colton and Millie, and their faithful fur-baby, Maverick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!