October 20, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 324: The Reason


The Reason

"But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." (1 Peter 3:15 NIV)

One of my favorite lines from the movie "Beautiful Mind," based on the life of mathematician, schizophrenic, and Nobel Prize winner John Nash, comes at the very end of the film, when Nash is giving his Nobel Prize acceptance speech. He thanks his wife, Alicia, for standing by him through all the years of madness and unreality and tells her, "You are the reason I am. You are all my reasons."

It is a beautiful moment in a truly "beautiful" movie, but how much more could we say those very words to God?

"You are the reason I am. You are all my reasons."

All our reasons.

The reason we praise Him: "Because your love is better than life, I will praise you as long as I live" (Psalm 63:3).

The reason we call on Him: "Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live" (Psalm 116:2).

The reason we are not disgraced: "Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced" (Isaiah 50:7).

The reason we are not consumed: "Because of the LORD’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail" (Lamentations 3:22).

The reason we rejoice and are glad: "Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven" (Matthew 5:12).

The reason we lift up our heads: "When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near" (Luke 21:8).

Oh God, in all the wanderings of our hearts, You are the where. 


In all the wonderings of our hearts, You are the why. 

You are the reason we are. You are all our reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!