October 8, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 312: God Who Bends Down


God Who Bends Down

"Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!" (Psalm 116:2)

So many of God's names paint a picture of Him for us.

The Rock That Is Higher Than I.

Mighty Fortress.

Shelter.

Lord of Heaven's Armies.

And this lovely name, new to me as of about two days ago: God Who Bends Down. In my mind, I see a father towering over his child in power, in authority, in strength, in security, in protection. And yet when his child whispers, "Daddy?" I see this father bending down, his face close to his child's, pulling his son or daughter to him, gently asking, "What is it, my child? Tell me."

God's bending does not compromise His holiness. 
God's bending does not break Him. And His bending is not a "bending of the rules" kind of bending.

Also, God does not bend to listen because He is hard of hearing, but because He is easy of loving.

"Abba?" we whisper to Him, as long as we have breath. And from on high, He bends down, draws us close, and gently asks, "What is it, my child? Tell me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!