January 31, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 62: Very Great Reward


Very Great Reward

"The word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: 'Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.'" (Genesis 15:1 NIV)


Both my daughters teach dance, and lately my younger daughter has been facing some discipline challenges with one of her chattier classes. She recently decided to try out a sticker chart to allow each dancer the opportunity to individually make appropriate behavior choices and to then eventually earn a reward for those accumulated good decisions.

Our divine Teacher is well beyond sticker charts, but He does present Himself to us as our Very Great Reward. He Himself is the reward, and out of Himself, He also gives us rewards.

He rewards those who keep his decrees (Psalm 19:9-11).
He rewards our work (2 Chronicles 15:7).
He rewards wisdom (Proverbs 9:12).
He rewards confidence in Him (Hebrews 10:35).

God's Word tells us He rewards in a variety of ways, including with children, vindication, righteousness, good things...and with the grandest prize of all: "Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven" (Luke 6:23).

That, surely, is something to dance about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!