January 26, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 57: Truth


Truth

"Jesus told him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.' " 
(John 14:6 NLT)

Jesus the Truth is the counterbalance for every lie the enemy weighs us down with. But Jesus doesn't just tip the scales so that they're even: He obliterates the scales entirely so that, when all is said and done, only justice and mercy and righteousness and goodness and love will carry any eternal weight at all.

The enemy whispers lies, but Jesus declares the truth.
The enemy lurks in darkness, but Jesus shines in light.
The enemy deceives cunningly, but Jesus guides faithfully.
The enemy brings death, but Jesus gives life.
The enemy is evil, but Jesus is holy.
The enemy tempts us, but Jesus delivers us.
The enemy torments, but Jesus reigns in peace.

In her study The Armor of God, author and Bible teacher Priscilla Shirer defines truth as "God's opinion on any matter." And American poet Carl Sandburg famously said, "A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."

More than 2,000 years ago, a baby named Truth was God's opinion that the world should be saved—and its scales tipped irrevocably in favor of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!