January 11, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 42: The One Who Lifts Up My Head


The One Who Lifts Up My Head

"But You, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, and the One who lifts up my head." (Psalm 3:3 CSB)

I owe a debt of gratitude to my encourager, friend, and mentor Kathleen for introducing me to today's name of God. With her permission, I'm privileged to pass along to you what she shared with me about it:

"Someone's head may be down because of shame, loss of hope, failure, disappointment, cares of the world, feeling undeserving, weariness, fear, or distraction. 

God lifts our head, raises our eyes to a new perspective. When God lifts our head, our eyes are raised to see His love, to see Him at work, to see beyond our circumstances.

I have a picture in my mind of a king holding court in an Eastern country of long ago. One of his subjects coming to seek his help casts his or her eyes (and perhaps body) down before him. Perhaps the king, in showing his favor, entreats the subject to lift his or her head. The subject is approved, has been shown the honor of the king's compassion.

I also picture a little boy or girl standing before a parent, knowing the wrong he or she has done and waiting with head downcast to hear what the parent will say. Then the parent reaches out and gently lifts that boy or girl's face and deals with that child in grace and love. 

There's something amazing and wonderful about being able to look up and into the face of God (figuratively) and to sense God's smile and to know that God's got this!"

"You're not threatened by the war
You're not shaken by the storm
I know You're in control
Even in our suffering
Even when it can't be seen
I know You're in control.

Oh, I hear You say
I hear You say
Look up child
Look up child."

(Lauren Daigle, "Look Up Child," https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NAYz0zh_Es.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!