January 2, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 33: Intercessor


Intercessor

"The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." (Romans 8:26 NIV)

Sometimes when I pray, all I can say, with a shout or a sob, is, "PLEASE, God."  When words fail—either because I don't have any or because I have too many to sort out—I'm grateful to know that the Intercessor stands in the gap. The Holy Spirit takes what I'm trying to pray and what I don't even know to pray in the first place and "groans" on my behalf and on behalf of the people I'm praying for. 

Still, I want to do my part and be faithful in passionate prayer and not just default to "please, God" too often. Here is where I think the names of God can assist: I can pray the provision represented by God's names for the friends and family who are on my mind. 

I can ask the Provider to supply their needs.
I can ask the Comforter to help them.
I can ask El Shaddai to show them His might and sufficiency. 
I can ask the Hiding Place to shelter them.
I can ask the Prince of Peace to guard their hearts.
I can ask the Fortress to protect them from harm and preserve them for good.

And then, where my words fail, I can trust the Intercessor to speak.

*   *   *   *   *  *  
This post may have been shared at some of these blog link parties.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting! I NEED Jesus to be my intercessor. I NEED him to go before the Father on my behalf. It's so great to have a reminder of how truly wonderful it is to be covered by Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin! I need the Intercessor to be Who He is and do what He does, too! Just today, as I was praying about a heartache that is both old and new, I was thinking, "Okay, HS, groan for me on this one!" Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hi Elizabeth - thanks for stoping by my place today and I wanted to stop by and visit you as well. I love this idea of 365 days of God's names. I love it. Intercessor is such a powerful and much needed one. So very often we don't know what to pray or how to intercede, but He does. Blessings and I hope you might considering coming and linking up with my on Thursdays so I can stay in touch with all your posts.

    PS.: if you are looking for another place to link to on Thursday’s I would love if you would consider joining my linkup #TuneInThursday – it opens Thursday 3 am PST and runs through Sunday night. You can find it at debbiekitterman.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie! Thank you so much for making the trip over here and for your kind words. I'd love to join your party on Thursdays! Thank you for the invitation, and I'll see you then and there! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of 3665 names for God. I can identify with sometimes only being able to pray "Please!" I am in dire need of an intercessor at those times (and always!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I join you in being grateful that the Intercessor takes my "please, God" and turns it into exactly what I need to ask for! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I've used Please God quite a bit - especially over the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sue! I used it today! So glad the Intercessor fills in the rest.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!