January 4, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 35: The One and Only


The One and Only

"The Word became flesh and lived for a while among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14 NIV)

About 14 years ago, a friend and I were getting ready to launch a weekly women's Bible study at our church. I was shopping around for study materials to use for our first season when I went to pick my daughter up from a play date (this was in her younger years before I was instructed to refer to time with friends as "hanging out"). I noticed a Bible study workbook lying on the table at the friend's house and asked her mom about it. "Oh, yes, I'm leading that here in my home. It's amazing." The study was Jesus the One and Only, by Beth Moore, and I knew immediately it was what my study sisters and I would use for our inaugural year together. 

We spent that first season getting to know Jesus the One and Only as we'd never known Him before, and I've never been the same since.

This is what Jesus does: He draws us to Himself and changes us for our good and His glory. In presenting Himself as the One and Only, He is not depriving us of something good; He is directing us toward what is best. 

When we walk in the only Way, when our path is lit by the only Light, when we enter relationship with God through the only Gate, we find that the One and Only is not "all" we have but everything we need...and so much more than enough.


*  *  *  *  *  *  
This post may have been shared at some of these blog link parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!