January 6, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 37: Father of Lights


Father of Lights

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." (James 1:17 NIV)

When I was in college, I took a required class called "Biblical Applications for Human Experience." I think the long course name was a way for my alma mater to justify charging us $200 a credit hour to essentially learn how to study the Bible. In spite of this inflation, it was a great class, and pieces of it have stuck with me all these years. 

We spent an entire semester clawing our way through the book of James, exploring every high and low and every tiny word I would normally have considered insignificant. Even now, James remains the most marked-up book in the Bible I've had the longest. 

Today's verse from James 1 is one of my favorites. I love the contrast between shifting shadows and the Father of Lights.

Shifting shadows confuse; the Father of Lights clarifies. 

Shifting shadows distort; the Father of Lights defines. 
Shifting shadows lie to us; the Father of Lights leads us in truth. 
Shifting shadows fade; the Father of Lights is faithful. 

Walk in the light today, sweet friends. Walk with the Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!