January 22, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 53: The Rock That Is Higher Than I


The Rock That Is Higher Than I

"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I." (Psalm 61:1,2 NIV)

Today's verse is one of my older daughter's favorites. As a young adult daily forging a future with plenty of unknowns to it, I can see why she would be comforted by the reassurance that God's thoughts and ways and plans are higher than hers. 

One of my own "stands out in my memory" moments of understanding about this name of God is connected to my sweet girl as well. It happened at a time when my mom heart was hurting for her over a heartache she was experiencing. In the midst of that unsettledness, I sensed God speaking to my spirit: "There is joy set before you." It was as if God was giving me a veiled glimpse of a time in the future when my daughter and I would look back on that sorrow from a place of joy. And in that moment, God led me to a Rock higher than myself.

Dear friends, don't miss the way we access this Rock: we are led to it. Led. We don't have to go searching for it. We don't have to blindly stumble our way up to it. We don't have to wander to it on our own. We only have to be willing to let ourselves be led to it. If you're mired in the mud of fear today or feel as though you're drowning in anxiety, I pray you'll let yourself be led...to and by the Rock that is higher than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!