December 31, 2018

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 31: Hiding Place


Hiding Place

"You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. (Selah)
(Psalm 32:7 NRS)

I think we often have a negative reaction to the word "hiding." We think (understandably) of danger or shame or withdrawal. But this name of God provides a gorgeous example of how something that is dark apart from God can be brought into light when it is connected to God. God as our Hiding Place reveals Him as our shelter, our protection, our safe place. 

I think of how we speak of "hiding God's Word" in our hearts, and that is not because of danger or shame or withdrawal, it's because we want to guard something that is precious and tuck it away in a sacred space for future use. When God hides us, He keeps us close to Himself so that we are preserved for the future. And there is this, too: when we hide ourselves, we find that He is revealed.

(And in case you're wondering about the meaning of "Selah," as I was, most Biblical scholars agree it is a musical term used to provide musical direction and that it means "to pause, or to reflect." Both of which seem like good things to do in a hiding place.)


You are my hiding place
You always fill my heart
With songs of deliverance
Whenever I am afraid
I will trust in You.

7 comments:

  1. I love what you drew out here, Elizabeth. I can't wait to share this with my family at supper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this good read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you book marked to check out new things you post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your web’s topic. Very creative and friendly for users.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you a lot for providing individuals with such a memorable chance to read articles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is in reality a nice and helpful piece of information.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!