December 18, 2018

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 18: El Elyon


El Elyon: God Most High

"He blessed Abram, saying, 'Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand.'" (Genesis 14:19-20 NIV)

I'm trying to train my mind so that my first conscious thought of the day is, "Lord Most High, You are God and there is no other. I'm believing You." (It should be noted that this is a work in progress.) 

Because this particular name of God plays such a central role in my ongoing effort to get a grip on my mind, I'm grateful for this insightful background from Revealing Jesus:
"In Genesis 14, Abraham meets the king of Salem [Melchizedek], a powerful and mysterious figure who was known not only as a king but a priest of the one true God. Abraham has just won a victory over those who would keep him from the land of promise, and his desire is to worship God. He meets with Melchizedek and brings him a tithe. He asks to be blessed, and in that beautiful moment of worship he is taught that God is the Most High God, sovereign over all the universe. He lived in a time when it was taught that there were many gods that led certain tribes and had power in certain lands. Now Abraham is learning there is a Most High God who is not one of many but the greatest and only."
God Most High. The greatest and only. I'm believing Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!