December 21, 2018

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 21: Light of the World


Light of the World

"'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" (John 8:12 NIV)

In the Northern Hemisphere, today is the darkest day of the year. It's the day we have the least daylight. But it's also the turning point back toward the lightest day. 

The arrival of Jesus, the Light of the World, was a turning point for that very world into which He stepped in human form. It was a turning away from so many old ways humankind had of relating to God and toward so many better ways.

It was a turning away from the old way of the law toward the new way of love.

It was a turning away from righteousness through rules toward righteousness through faith and grace.

And it was a turning away from darkness toward the lightest day of all...the day we're still looking for and longing for while we walk in the light of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!