December 17, 2018

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 17: Sustainer

Sustainer

"I am he, I am he who will sustain you, I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." (Isaiah 46:4 NIV)

Today I want to introduce something that will factor into our Names of God series from time to time going forward: namely (no pun intended) that some entries will not be "official" names so much as they will be roles or attributes. I long for this series to lead us to praise God and to know Him better and then to weave what we learn from His names into the fabric of our daily lives. I cannot imagine these things happening without considering God's roles and attributes, which have much to teach us about who He is and what He's like. 

I'm so comforted by Scripture's portrayal of God as our Sustainer. He keeps us going. He supplies us. He holds us up. And as we look back on the names of God we've visited so far, we see how He fulfills His role as Sustainer through the aspects of His character represented by each name.

Elohim sustains us with His strength.
Emmanuel sustains us with His presence.
The Comforter sustains us by helping us.
Yahweh sustains us with His lordship.
The I AM sustains us with His being.
Jesus sustains us by saving us.
El Roi sustains us by seeing us.
The Alpha and Omega sustains us with His completion.
The Prince of Peace sustains us by guarding our hearts.
The Creator sustains us by showing us Himself.
Yahweh-Tsidkenu sustains us with His righteousness.
The Counselor sustains us with His guidance.
The Morning Star sustains us by bringing a new day.
The Holy One sustains us with His otherness.
The Rock sustains us with His certainty.
And the Joy-Giver sustains us with the fruit of His Spirit.

Blessed be the name of the Lord, who sustains us with Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!