December 26, 2018

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 26: God of Hope


God of Hope

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:13 NIV)

Evangelist and writer Hal Lindsey said, "Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air...but only for one second without hope.” Of course, we understand that many people are physically alive without hope. Maybe you are one of them. If so, please know that my heart breaks for you and that it would be my privilege to pray for you. 


To truly live, hope is nonnegotiable. This kind of hope is altogether different  from the fingers-crossed, wishful-thinking, "oh I hope this" or "oh I hope that" variation that comes apart from the God of Hope. This kind of hope is based on confident expectation of what God will do, and it can remain steadfast no matter what it is that God does do, because this hope is not based on what is done nearly so much as it is on the One who's doing the doing.

Hold onto hope today, dear friends...even if it's just by the very tips of your chewed-down fingernails. Because the God of Hope has you in His sure and steady grip, and expectant confidence in Him is never misplaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!