December 24, 2018

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 24: Name Above Every Name


Name Above Every Name

"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name." (Philippians 2:9 NIV)

I was almost seven when my baby sister arrived on the scene. The story goes that before she was born, my parents told my younger brother and me that if the baby was a girl (this was in the days when "gender reveal parties" usually happened in a hospital room and sounded a lot like "it's a boy" or "it's a girl"), they planned to name her Jessica. (An absolutely lovely name.) But according to my mom and dad, I exercised my big-sister authority and announced, "Well, you can name her Jessica, but I'm going to call her Melissa." My mom says that they thought, "Well, we can't very well name the baby Jessica and have Elizabeth calling her Melissa, so I guess we'll name her Melissa." They've since agreed that my sister is, in fact, a Melissa rather than a Jessica. (And again, to all the Jessicas out there reading this, it is the loveliest of names and no doubt suits you perfectly.)

My point in sharing this page from our family history is that our names speak of who we are, and often we say that so-and-so's name "suits them" or that they look like a [insert name]." 

Jesus' names suit Him. They speak of who He is. His is the Name above every other because He is above every other...above every other god and every other hope and every other source of saving.

Joy to your world this Christmas, my friends...may it be blessed by the Name above every name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!