December 4, 2018

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 4: Yahweh


Yahweh: LORD

"I am Yahweh, that is My name; I will not give My glory to another, or My praise to idols." (Isaiah 42:8 CSB)

Yahweh (yah-way) is the most-used name for God in the Bible and is usually translated into English as LORD. Yahweh is God's personal name, revealed by none other than God Himself. I'm so thankful God wants us to know Who He is. He did not owe us that; He could have just created us and then remained aloof and stand-offish. But instead, He introduced Himself on a first-name basis, because that is always the initial step in a relationship, and God is ALWAYS about the business of relationship with us.

In days to come on our year-long journey, we'll visit many expanded versions of this particular name, each of which illuminates a different aspect of God's nature and character. Honestly, I'm restraining myself from front-loading this series with these and throwing them all at you, one right after another from the get-go, because I LOVE to study these Hebrew names. But I appreciate you dearly, my fellow travelers, and don't want to lose you. So for today, rest in the reminder that Yahweh is the Lord, holy and worthy to be praised. 



Holy, Holy is the Lord
Worthy to be praised
Yahweh
Fire rising in my soul
All consuming flame
Yahweh
He who was and is to come
Is the One who lives in us
The great I AM
Yahweh

(Elevation Worship, "Yahweh")

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!