September 13, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 287: Revealer of Mysteries

Revealer of Mysteries

"The king asked Daniel (also called Belteshazzar), 'Are you able to tell me what I saw in my dream and interpret it?' Daniel replied, 'No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about, but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries. He has shown King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in days to come.' " (Daniel 2:26-28a NIV)

"It's a mystery to me."

Sometimes we say this in our family...but it's usually about mysteries a lot less profound than a prophetic dream.

I love Daniel's response to the king's confusion about his nocturnal disruption: Daniel told the king exactly who couldn't explain it AND pointed him to the One who could.

I see two responses to this lesson that I need to get going on straight away.

First, when I am pondering some "mysteries" in my own life, I need to intentionally shift my thoughts toward the One who can solve them.

I don't know why this is happening...but there is a God in heaven who does.

I don't know how this is all going to turn out...but there is a God in heaven who does.

I don't know when things are going to change...but there is a God in heaven who does.

I don't know how I'm going to get through this...but there is a God in heaven who does.

One of the many facets of God's perfection is that not only does He know the when, why, and how of everything, He IS the when, why, and how. He is the timing. 
He is the reason. He is the provision. He doesn't just have an answer to my questions, He IS the answer. He doesn't just know the meaning behind my mysteries, He IS the meaning.

Which leads me to my second response: to the point where everything else is stripped away, and I simply declare, "I don't know ___________. But I do know this: there is a God in heaven."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!