September 6, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 280: All in All


All in All

"So if you have been raised with the Messiah, seek what is above, where the Messiah is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on what is above, not on what is on the earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with the Messiah in God. When the Messiah, who is your life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all." (Colossians 3 :1-4,11 CSB)

I know about "all."

I've got "all" this and "all" that worrying my mind, troubling my spirit. This is almost entirely because I am the queen of overreacting and under-praying, but still: I've got my "alls."

Jesus, though, is the All in my "all." Whatever my all is, He's got an all that not only matches mine, but masters it.

He is all peace in all my agitation.
He is all rest in all my weariness.
He is all calm in all my storms.
He is all humility in all my pride.
He is all light in all my darkness.
He is all truth in all my lies.

Jesus is all in all, not part in part. He is not a portion or a fraction or a down-payment. He is the whole, the fullness, the entire purchase price.

In all my agitation, weariness, storms, pride, darkness, and lies, I can look for other saviors. They may help a little. But they will never be more than part in part, because this Savior—this All in All—is the One and Only.

"You are my strength when I am weak,
You are the treasure that I seek,
You are my all in all.
Seeking You as a precious jewel,
Lord, to give up I'd be a fool,
You are my all in all.

Taking my sin, my cross, my shame,
Rising again I bless Your name,
You are my all in all.
When I fall down You pick me up,
When I am dry You fill my cup,
You are my all in all.

Jesus, Lamb of God,
Worthy is Your name.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
Worthy is Your name."

(From "You Are My All in All;" songwriter Dennis L. Jernigan; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC617kE1maU.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!