September 3, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 277: Our Choice


Our Choice

“Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:14,15 NIV)

"Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes." (Ephesians 1:4 NLT)

I am at a choosing place.

I am standing at a fork in the road. It is a one-way road, so I cannot go back. Straight ahead, the road ends. I must choose to go either right or left. Not choosing is not a choice available to me.

When I am at a choosing place, I must decide: who will I serve? Which way will I go?

Will I choose the father of lies or the Father of Lights?

Will I choose self or others?
Will I choose despair or hope?
Will I choose grace or condemnation?
Will I choose impatience or self-control?
Will I choose comfort or sacrifice?
Will I choose the temporary or the eternal?

When I am at a choosing place, Abba's voice always echoes with the greatest choice of all, the one that's already been made: "Even before I made the world, I made a choice. I chose you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!