May 22, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 173: His Name Is Our Answer


His Name Is Our Answer

"Lord, I wait for you to help me. LORD my God, I know you will answer." (Psalm 38:15 NIRV)

"Where are you?"

This is the first question the Creator asks of His creation.

"Where are you?" God asks Adam and Eve who, having fallen into sin after the serpent's baiting question—"Did God really say you must not eat from any tree in the garden?"—have gone into hiding.

"Where are you?"

God the Father knows full well where Adam and Eve are, of course, but He uses the question to lead them to realize where they are in relation to Him. God the Son followed Abba's lead during His earthly ministry, asking questions that led people to realize where they were in relation to Him.

Jesus asked Peter a question: “'But what about you? Who do you say I am?' Peter answered, 'God’s Messiah'" (Luke 9:20).

Jesus asked the woman at the well a question: "Jesus said to her, 'Will you give me a drink?' The Samaritan woman said to him, 'You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?' (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans. ) Jesus answered her, 'If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.' The woman said, 'I know that Messiah' (called Christ) 'is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.' Then Jesus declared, 'I, the one speaking to you—I am he'"(John 4:7,9,10,25,26).

Jesus asked Mary a question: "'Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?' Thinking he was the gardener, she said, 'Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary.' She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, 'Rabboni!' (which means 'Teacher'). Jesus said, 'Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’ Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: 'I have seen the Lord!'" (
John 20:15-18).

We have our own questions for God, and here, too, He uses His answers to lead us to realize where we are in relation to Him.

"Why is this happening?" we ask Him. 
"So that the works of God might be displayed," He answers us (John 9:3).

"When is this going to happen? Who will make it happen?" we ask Him.
"At the right time, I, the LORD, will make it happen," He answers us (Isaiah 60:22).

"How is this going to happen?" we ask Him.
“I am the LORD, the God of all the peoples of the world. Is anything too hard for me?" He answers us (Jeremiah 32:27).

I believe God invites our inquires. I believe He welcomes them because, in our questions, we find Him to be the Answer.

Oh God, Your name is our answer. Help me to make it known.

"You're my helper, my healer,
My blessed redeemer,
My answer, my saving grace."

(From "Worthy Of Your Name;" Passion; songwriters Brenton Brown, Sean Curran, Brett Younker; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcedMbopknM.)

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiration! I praise Thee oh Lord for being my Counselor! Thank You Lord for sharing this page with me to build me up. I trust in You, Lord my God and I know You are my Answer, my saving Grace. Lord please bless this child Elizabeth of Yours. Amen!! Ina from SA

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!