March 5, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 95: King


King

"The LORD is King for ever and ever." (Psalm 10:16 NIV) 

Fourteen years of women's Bible study have given me a few Scriptures that now occupy a protected place in my mind and heart. What strikes me most about these is that they're verses I would never have given a second glance on my own but that, having been illuminated by skillful teaching and wisdom, now leap off the page to me.

Isaiah 6:1 is one such verse: "In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the LORD seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple." 

"In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord." 

Oh, friends, this is EVERYTHING. The God Who Can Be Seen will stop at nothing to get us to the point where we do see Him. In Isaiah's case, King Uzziah—one of Judah's better kings, at least initially—would have been a hero figure to Isaiah: strong, heroic, powerful, victorious. He was Isaiah's king. But when Uzziah was removed from the prophet's vision, Isaiah was able to see THE King.

God is the King. He wants to be your King and mine. But sometimes, He has to move someone or something else off the throne first. 

Relationships. Jobs. Passions. Dreams. Callings. All good things...but if they are on the throne, blocking our view of the King, they have to go. 

And when they do, we are able to see our King, seated on His throne, "high and exalted."

"You are the only King forever.
Almighty God we lift You higher.
You are the only King forever.
Forevermore, You are victorious."

("Only King Forever;" Elevation worship; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVygdWkcoMc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!