March 31, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 121: God of the Now


God of the Now

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1 ASV)


God is God of every season. He is God of every time for every purpose under heaven. 


If God has us in a season, it is for a reason.

I can think of no more succinct reflection of how God works in the seasons of our lives than a single phrase from the starkly beautiful Lauren Daigle song  "Love Like This": 

"When I am the winter, You are the fire that burns."

I cannot tell you how much I love that this does not read, "When I am the winter, You are the spring." When God has us in a season, our job is not to ask Him to get us out of it nearly so much as it is to trust Him to provide what we need while we're in it, so that we can accomplish the purpose He has for it.

When we are in a "winter" season, what we need even more than spring is God's fire to warm and comfort us during that winter.

If God has me in a season, I need to be IN it, not just hovering at the periphery, trying to get out of it. 

The God of Time has a reason for every season, and whatever else might be murky about that, this much is clear: all His reasons are good, and all His reasons are love.

"When I am a wasteland,
You are the water.
When I am the winter,
You are the fire that burns.


When I am a long night,
You are the sunrise.
When I am a desert,
You are the river that turns
To find me.

What have I done to deserve love like this?
What have I done to deserve love like this?
I cannot earn what You so freely give.
What have I done to deserve love like this?


Hallelujah."


(From "Love Like This;" Lauren Daigle; songwriters Lauren Daigle, Jason Ingram, Paul Mabury; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1q_i1RHPU.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!