March 26, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 116: God Who Tears


God Who Tears

"He who was seated on the throne said, 'I am making everything new!'" (Revelation 21:5 NIV)

I've been a fan of the "Little House on the Prairie" books since I was a girl and pretty much have them memorized, on account of rereading them many times during my growing-up years and now, as an adult, listening to them every fall on CD book. Which is how, when I came to "a time to tear" on our journey through the seasons of life, a relevant passage from one of the "Little House" books came to mind.

The scene takes place in "Farmer Boy," Laura Ingalls Wilder's semi-biographical account of the boyhood life of the man who would become her husband, Almanzo Wilder. Laura writes in the chapter titled "Cobbler" that Almanzo's older brother and sisters were getting ready to go to boarding school and were preparing their wardrobes.

"The girls were ripping their old dresses and bonnets, sponging and pressing them and sewing them together again the other side out, to look new."

Oh, friends, isn't this how it is when God is remaking us?

When we're being remade, doesn't it feel as though God is ripping and tearing us...cleaning us off...pressing us...and turning us inside out?

But then, just as I imagine those sisters must have looked with delight and pleasure at their like-new dresses, we hear the voice of our King and Creator, seated on the throne: "Behold, I am making all things new" (Revelation 21:5 ESV).

If you're in a ripping season right now, how I pray you'll trust the tender heart of the God Who Tears...and hang on for the beautiful beholding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!