March 3, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 93: God of Heaven


God of Heaven

"Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever." (Psalm 136:26 NIV)

My daughters once asked my mom what heaven would be like. My mom told them, "Whatever you want will be there."


My mom was not saying that whatever my girls wanted at that moment or during their life on earth in general would be in heaven; she was telling them that if there was something they wanted when they got to heaven, they would have it. Wanting something we do not have is incompletion, but in the many rooms of our Father's house (John 14:2), we will find everything our hearts are longing for. 

Yet God of the then-and-there is also God of the here-and-now. He's with us in the rooms we're living in on earth. 

The joy room.

The expectation room.

The grief room.

The classroom.

The waiting room.

These rooms can be messy. (Sort of like my teenager's bedroom some days.)

That mess is our own fault, of course. In "Thoughts To Make Your Heart Sing," Sally Lloyd-Jones writes that "God made his world to be our perfect home. But sin has spoiled everything."

Yet:"did God abandon us? Did he just look down from heaven at the mess we made? No. He didn't just look down. He came down. God himself came down."

The God of heaven came down. Whatever room you're living in right now, He's there with you, lavishing on you His love that endures forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!