November 13, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 348: Giver of Patience


Giver of Patience

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." (Colossians 3:12 NIV)

Did I lose you on this one, my friends? I probably would have lost me, because on a patience scale of 1 (not patient at all) to 10 (very patient), I am approximately a minus 100.

As God's beloved, we're supposed to be "clothed" in His patience. We're supposed to put it on. We're supposed to wear it.

But patience is not the comfy sweatshirt of my spiritual wardrobe. I usually have to struggle into it. It almost always feels a little tight. 



I think part of the reason is that I equate patience with passivity. But God's patience is much more about power that's restrained in the interest of mercy. Godly patience isn't about being on hold nearly so much as it is about holding back and holding on for a greater gain. This is patience with purpose.

The purpose of God's patience is repentance: "Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?" (Romans 2:4).

The purpose of God's patience is redemption: "Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him" (2 Peter 3:15).

The purpose of God's patience is restoration: "What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? As he says in Hosea: 'I will call them ‘my people’ who are not my people; and I will call her ‘my loved one’ who is not my loved one,' and, 'In the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘children of the living God' ' " (Romans (9:22,25-27).

The purpose of God's patience is relationship: "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love" (Ephesians 4:2).

In repentance, there is a turning away from sin. In redemption, there is a freeing of what sin has held captive. In restoration, there is a rebuilding of what sin has torn down. In relationship, there is a bridging of the gap sin created.

This is not passivity. This is passion.

May God help us put it on and wear it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!