August 27, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 270: The Stability Of Your Times


The Stability Of Your Times

"The LORD is exalted, for he dwells on high; he will fill Zion with justice and righteousness; and he will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is his treasure." (Isaiah 33:5,6 RSV)

There's a lot of uncertainty spinning around me in some circles of my life—not for me personally, but for people I love and care about who are feeling uneasy, unsettled, unsure.

Students are uneasy about how the new school year will go.

Parents are unsettled about their students.

Members of our church family are uncertain about how health issues are going to turn out.

Friends are unsure about their marriages.

When our minds are swirling with unease, we have two main choices: we can feed the whirlwind with what we don't know, or we can look to the Stability of our times who "has his way in the whirlwind and in the storm" (Nahum 1:3) and claim Who we do know.

We know the Healer is still in the business of working physical, spiritual, mental, and emotional wholeness.

We know the Consuming Fire is still in the business of burning away dross that contaminates and weakens the faith He intends to strengthen.

We know the Way-Maker is still in the business of parting seas and moving mountains.

We know our Portion is still in the business of providing daily bread.

We know the Potter is still in the business of molding and shaping us into beautiful, useful vessels.

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God," wrote Corrie ten Boom. And though the whirlwind of life rages on, never be afraid to trust unsure, uncertain times to a sure and certain God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!