August 19, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 262: God of the Wilderness


God of the Wilderness

"When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them by way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near. For God said, 'Lest the people change their minds when they see war and return to Egypt.' But God led the people around by the way of the wilderness toward the Red Sea. And the people of Israel went up out of the land of Egypt equipped for battle." (Exodus 13:17,18 ESV)

On their way to the Promised Land, the people of God found themselves in a number of messes that were entirely their own doing. But going the round-about way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea instead of along the established road was not one of them.

The account is clear: God led them through the wilderness. Nearly every translation of Exodus 13:18 uses that exact word: "led."

Why did God do this? Why does He sometimes not only allow us to go through a wilderness but actually lead us there?

The mind of God has reasons I not only don't know but don't need to know, but I believe one reason He deliberately, intentionally, willfully leads us through the wilderness even when there is another way is so we'll have a song to sing.

"The direct route would save time as well as wear and tear on the people, but God had something infinitely more important than economics in mind—He wanted the people to be able to sing [a] song of praise. They sang this song because they had firsthand experience of God's power and deliverance. They would have missed this glorious lesson if they had taken the short road. The lessons He wants to teach us 'in the wilderness' are a priceless means of providing us with a song we could not otherwise have sung: 'In Thy constant love Thou hast led the people" (Elisabeth Elliot, "A Lamp for My Feet," Exodus 15:13).

I like the short road. I like the direct route. But I do want to have "firsthand experience of God's power and deliverance." I don't only want to sing secondhand songs. I want my own anthem of praise. And the wilderness is where I'll learn its words and tune.

God, when I'm in a wilderness You've led me to and are leading me through, help me to trust that on the other side, I will be able to sing a song I could not otherwise have sung.....a song I need to sing...a song someone else needs to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!