February 17, 2021

16 Verses For When You’re Awake In the Night Worrying About Your Kids


Moms of young children do not so much sleep as they hover in a semi-conscious state, waiting for someone to need something.

Moms of older children, on the other hand, do not so much sleep as they worry in a reclining position, wondering about what their grown kids need that they don’t know about or do know about but can’t do anything about.


Momsomnia is a battle, and like so many battles, we fight it in our minds first. Since “just don’t think about it” works approximately 0.00 percent of the time, we’ve got to have a sharper weapon. 


Enter the sword of the Spirit—the Word of God—with which we can offend the enemy and take a stab at those 3 a.m. (or whenever-a.m.) thoughts.


The next time you find yourself worrying in a reclining position, maybe these Scriptures and accompanying breath prayers—meditations based on the Scripture that you can pray in one inhale and exhale—will help transform it into a position of peace.


1. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)


Your plans are good.

Your plans face forward.

Your plans give hope.


2. “I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure.” (Psalm 16:7-9 NAS) 


My eyes are on You.

I will not be shaken.

I can rest secure.


3. “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” (Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV)


You go ahead of my children.

You are always with them.

You will never, never, never, never, never* leave them.


(*The original language here has never “nevers.”)


4. “I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” (Psalm 27:13-14 NIV)


I will see Your goodness again.

I will wait for You.

I will not lose heart.


5. “I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul. You have not given me into the hands of the enemy but have set my feet in a spacious place.” (Psalm 31:7-8 NIV)


You see what troubles me.

You have not given me to my enemies.

You set me in a wide-open place.


6. "The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand." (Psalm 37:23,24 NIV)


You make my kids’ steps firm.

They might stumble, but they won’t fall.

You hold them up.


7. "The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." (Psalm 121:7,8 NIV)

 

You’re watching over my children's lives.

You will keep harm away from them.

You always see their comings and goings.


8. "The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them." (Psalm 145:18,19 NIV)


When I call, You come near.

You fulfill my desires.

You hear my cry, and you save me.


9. "How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" (Isaiah 30:19,21 NIV) 


You are gracious and want to help.

You answer my cries quickly.

You will tell me which way I should go.


10. "Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:30-31 NIV)


I confidently expect what you will do.

You make my strength new.

You help me keep going strong.


11. "When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you." (Isaiah 43:2 NLT) 


You are with my children.

Deep waters won’t drown them.

Hot fires won’t destroy them.


12. "Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him." (Isaiah 64:4 NIV)


No one compares to you.

You’re working while I’m waiting.

You are acting on my children's behalf.


13. "Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:21-23 NIV)


Your compassions never fail.

You mercies are new every day.

Your faithfulness is great.


14. "The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17 NIV)


You are with my children.

You delight in them greatly.

You sing and You save.


15. "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." (2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV)


You give me more than I deserve.

Your grace never falls short.

My weakness is the perfect place for your power.


16. "I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6 NIV)


You are the Beginner of good things.

You carry the load.

One day, all You started will be perfectly finished.


7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Elizabeth, for these wonderful verses of encouragement! I've had my share of "momsomnia" and know that praying God's Word will help me through some of those nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this sweet feedback, Tracey! I'm so grateful you're here!

      Delete
  2. I can add that the "age of worry" does not have an expiration date. If we breath, we worry about our children and grandchildren and ....Love this scripture reference to add to prayer time (in night or day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama, you have a become a 24-hour prayer warrior. I love you.

      Delete
  3. With 2 teenagers, I greatly appreciate this! I might have to print these off and put them beside my bed! Definetly "momsomnia!" Thank you so much for sharing! I love all of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Jeanne! Thank you so much for this lovely feedback! I’m so glad if this can be at all useful in the momsomnia battle! Blessings—and rest!—to you! :)

      Delete
  4. Bookmarking this as I know I'll be happy to refer back to it all, over & over!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!