July 11, 2020

I Can Do All This When I Pray


“All I can do is pray.”

How many times have I heard this?

More to the point: how many times have I said this?

Obvious answer: many.

On top of which, I usually say it—“all I can do is pray”—with a sigh of resignation, as if I’m conceding defeat.

Resignation and defeat? Really?

Clearly, I’ve lost track of what I’m actually doing when I pray...what any of us is doing when we come to God within the context of relationship with Him and with full confession of the ways we’ve missed the mark of His goodness.

When you or I pray, we are availing ourselves of unfiltered, no middleman, split-second access to the Great I AM.

When "all" we can do is pray, we are putting ourselves in a position of faith before the All in All.

And yet: “all I can do is pray”?

Really?

I think I’ve got my “all” in the wrong place here.

A little rearranging seems in order: I can do all this when I pray.

(And you can, too.)

The “all this” I can do when I pray includes but is most definitely not limited to...

I can approach the throne of grace with confidence (Hebrews 4:16).

I can get help for what I need (Hebrews 4:16).

I can call up the peace guard (Philippians 4:6-7).

I can be restored (Job 33:26-28).

I can steer clear of temptation (Mark 14:38).

I can see demons driven out (Mark 9:29).

I can please God (Proverbs 15:8).


All this. Just from talking to God—Who very much wants to hear from me (and from you, too).

No fancy words. No fussy format. No prior experience required.

All that is needed is an understanding that I can do all this when I pray because I’m not the one doing anything at all and faith (even the size of a mustard seed) that the One Who can do all this, will.

5 comments:

  1. I've been studying prayer over the last couple of weeks, so this post is a great encouragement and help to me! Hope you and your family are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Tracey, thank you for this comment, because it reinforces some leading I was sensing from God about the topic for this coming season's women's Bible study with "my" study sisters. I'd been sensing "prayer"--and now here it pops up again from you! Bless you, sweet friend...and your family as well! (As for us, I'm heading into senior year for BOTH my girls, so you can bet I'll pretty much be in a constant state of prayer!)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the reminder and for putting things in perspective. 😍🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, it is my honor and privilege! Thank you so much for this lovely encouraging feedback! :)

      Delete
  3. This really spoke to me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!