April 14, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 135: King of kings


King of kings

On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. (Revelation 19:16 NIV)

(Friends, I know this is a little unusual, but you might want to click on this song link, start it at the 11:18 mark, and let it play in the background just while you read today's entry on our Names of God journey...I think the music augments this particular name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXusFlbYwXI.)

* * * * * *


I may share a name with a queen, but I don't know much about royalty or monarchies. I do know, though, that the kings of the Old Testament (the "little-k" kings) were essentially allowed to rule until they died. Sometimes, their demise was hastened by those who wanted them dethroned prematurely, but the basic provision was there: lifetime reign. 

These earthly kings ruled until their reign was ended by death; Jesus the King of kings reigns because He rules over death. These earthly kings were on the throne while they were living; Jesus the King of kings is on the throne because He lives.

The New Living Translation (NLT) of today's verse reads, "On his robe at his thigh was written this title: King of all kings and Lord of all lords (Revelation 19:16 NLT).

I love the way this translation demonstrates that Jesus is the "of all." 


Whatever good thing there might be in our lives, Jesus is the best of it. Whatever partial blessing there might be, Jesus is the whole of it.

Jesus is the Joy of all joys.
He is the Hope of all hopes.
He is the Song of all songs.

And, truly, He is the King of all kings.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!