February 22, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 84: God of Jeshurun



God of Jeshurun

"There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in his majesty. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." (Deuteronomy 33:26,27 NIV)

I'm so thankful God is taking me places I've never been before on this journey through His great names. I pray He's taking you there, too.

I've loved these verses from the Old Testament for a long time, but my approach to "the God of Jeshurun" always went something like this: "I wonder what 'Jeshurun' is?" (Closes Bible. Goes to put in a load of laundry or drive a child somewhere. Still does not know who or what "Jeshurun" is.)


But now, I have been led in such a gentle and pleasant way to finally venture into this previously unexplored territory. According to the NIV Compact Dictionary of the Bible, by J.D. Douglas and Merrill C. Tenney, "Jeshurun" is a "poetical or ideal title of Israel." 

Frankly, learning this made me feel a little uneasy at first. God's affection for Israel is certain and beautiful, but don't we sometimes feel He is the God of someone else? Someone more holy or righteous or devoted? Someone whose faith is more mature or whose life is less messy? 

But no. The same Bible that names Yahweh as "God of Jeshurun" also tells us He is:

*God of the slow-of-speech Moses (Exodus 4:12).
*God of the disobedient Jonah (Jonah 2:6).
*God of the bitter Naomi (Ruth 2:20).
*God of the worrier Martha (Luke 10:41).
*God of the doubter Thomas (John 20:28).

And dear one, through faith, He longs to be God of you. How I pray you can put your name in this declaration today:

"There is no one like the God of ____________, who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in his majesty. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."

1 comment:

  1. I heard that, & was wondering what it meant. So I finally got online to look up "The God of Jeshurun. Wow thanks. Dennis aka Cat Wrestler.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!