January 11, 2014

Insomniac ABC's

Lydia woke me up at 4:45 this morning, complaining of a headache. I gave her ibuprofen and tucked her back into bed. Getting back to sleep before the alarm went off at 5:30 wasn't happening, so I figured I might as well get started on my daily prayer P.A.T.H. (Praise, Admit, Thank, ask for Help). Being an organization freak, I decided to work my way through the alphabet, praising God through His names/titles/attributes. Of course, He knows Who He is. The acknowledgement is for my benefit and reminding and because it is good to do. He is God; I am not.

Here's the list I came up with (thanks to my wise husband for his help!), including Scriptural support Unless otherwise indicated, all references are from the NIV...also note that my mental meandering considered the Triune God: Father, Son, Spirit. May His name be praised and adored. "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your name be the glory, because of Your love and faithfulness" (Psalm 115:1).

Ancient of Days ~ "As I looked, 'thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took His seat.'" (Daniel 7:9)

Blessed One ~ "'Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?'" (Mark 14:61)

Counselor ~ "'The Counselor, the Holy Spirit...will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.'" (John 14:25)

Deliverer ~ "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer." (Psalm 18:2)

El Roi (God Who Sees) ~ "'I have now seen the One who sees me.'" (Genesis 16:13)

Faithful and True ~ "I saw heaven standing open and there before me was white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True." (Revelation 19:11)

Good Shepherd ~ "'I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me.'" (John 10:14)

Holy One ~ "Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One among you." (Isaiah 12:6)

Immanuel ~ "They will call him Immanuel--which means, 'God with us.'" (Matthew 1:23)

Jesus ~ "'You are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.'" (Matthew 1:21)

King of kings ~ "On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." (Revelation 19:16)

Lord of lords ~ "For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome." (Deuteronomy 10:17) 

Maker of heaven and earth ~ "My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." (Psalm 121:2)

Name above all names ~ "God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name." (Philippians 2:9)

One and Only ~ "We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only." (John 1:14)

Prince of Peace"He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6)

Quieter of His peopleThe LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)

Redeemer ~ "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth." (Job 19:25)

Savior ~ "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." (Psalm 25:4, 5)

Truth ~ "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

Unequaled ~ "'To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?' says the Holy One." (Isaiah 40:25)

Vine ~ "'I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and i in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.'" (John 15:5)

Word ~ "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1)

Xerxes' Sleep-Taker ~ "The Lord took sleep from the king that night." (Esther 6:1, from the Septuagint; God was preparing to do something amazing among His people through His servant, Queen Esther, and "taking sleep" from Esther's husband, King Xerxes, was part of the plan!)

Yahweh ~ "Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7, World English Bible)

Zion's King ~ "'I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill.'" (Psalm 2:6)



"Yes, Lord, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for You; 
Your name and renown are the desire of our hearts." (Isaiah 26:8)





4 comments:

  1. Okay, this is too freaky. Not oly do we both choose the same dots background out of the bazillion choices on Blogger, but we start blogging pretty much the same time AND we both have an ABC list as our first post? This is just too much! I love this list for the names of God! And we totally have to play the ABC Game with each other sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, yes! Too much, in the BEST possible way! Let me know when you want to start the ABC game...I'm always looking for good excuses not to dust my house. Which this would be. (A good excuse, that is.)

      Delete
    2. Oooh, goody! Want to do the ABC game by email? Do we want the rules to be that we take turns with letters, or each have to answer for that letter and then add the next one? And if you weren't serious about the game, that's okay, but I'm totally up for it!

      Delete
    3. I'm there, girl! As long as it's not Pictionary, I'm good. (I cannot draw to save my life. Intruder, to me: draw a giraffe or you're dead. Me: shoot me now.) But please fill me in on the full rules, because the ABC game I can think of right now is the one you play in the car on long trips! :) And yes, email is great. I'm at spencerejoy@gmail.com. Yay...it's like a grown-up playdate!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!