February 23, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 85: Yahweh-Shalom


Yahweh-Shalom: The Lord is Peace

"'It is all right,' the LORD replied. 'Do not be afraid. You will not die.' And Gideon built an altar to the LORD there and named it Yahweh-Shalom (which means 'the LORD is peace')." (Judges 6:23,24a NLT)

Sometimes I find myself mumbling to myself, "I just want...peace." I think what I'm really wanting is to feel settled, at rest, not worried. These longings often seem incompatible with life on this earth, yet when Yahweh-Shalom presents peace in His Word, He does so in the context of this world.

He presents His peace as a gift: "The LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:26).

He presents His peace as a blessing: "The LORD blesses his people with peace" (Psalm 29:11).

He presents His peace as a leader: "You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace" (Isaiah 55:12a).

He presents His peace as a guard: "The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).

He presents His peace as a ruler: "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful" (Colossians 3:15)

Dear NOG friends, I can't think of a better blessing to leave you with today than this absolutely lovely song. I pray you'll find a moment to listen...and to let Yahweh-Shalom gift you, bless you, lead you, guard you, and rule you with His peace.

"Shalom, shalom, peace be with you.
Shalom, shalom, my child.
Shalom, shalom, peace be with you,
Shalom, shalom, shalom.
Know the Prince of Peace
Is always by your side.
May peace beyond all understanding
Fill your heart and mind."

("Shalom," by Genie and Troy Nilsson, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP7CD8LmdZE.)






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!