August 30, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 273: Gardener


Gardener

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." (John 15:1,2 NIV)

The Gardener is tending His flower beds. 

He moves carefully among the flowers, looking the plants over, examining them. They are beautiful and healthy: they speak of the Gardener's skill, knowledge, creativity, and faithfulness. He is a Master Gardener. 

The Gardener is happy with everything in His garden, except for one flower.

This flower sits alone, away from the rest of the garden, in a pot by herself. She is limp and drooping; her leaves are wilted and brown at the edges. She is not blooming at all.

A visitor comes to the garden. He sees this flower and asks the Gardener why He doesn't get rid of her. "She'll never amount to anything," the visitor says. "She'll never be beautiful. You should throw her away."

But the Gardener refuses. "No," He says, "I am not going to throw her away. I see what she is, but I also see what she can be."

He tenderly carries the flower in her pot to His potting bench. He talks to her and gently but firmly pinches off the dying leaves. The flower protests. "I'm used to those leaves! I know them!"

"I know," the Gardener tells her, "but they aren't good for you. They are draining life from you. I had to cut them off."

Then the Gardener moves the flower into the sun. She protests, "It's hot here! I don't like it!"

"I know," the Gardener tells her, "but you need the light. It will activate life in you. It will make you grow."

After a while, the Gardener moves the flower back into the shade. She protests again. "I don't want to move! I liked the sun! It's chilly here!"

"I know," the Gardener tells her, "but you can't stay in the light all the time. You need to rest where it's cool. This is part of growing, too.

Finally, the flower's roots are strong enough that the Gardener transplants her out of her pot and into the garden with all the other flowers. Some look like her, some look different from her.

The flower protests one more time. "I'm not used to being around other flowers! I liked being in my pot by myself!"

"I know," the Gardener tells her. "And you were beautiful by yourself. All of my flowers are beautiful by themselves. But you are more beautiful together."

Many new visitors come to see the garden. The flowers are glorious. They are a display of splendor. 

But when the visitors leave, they do not praise the flowers. 

They praise the Gardener. 

For they know it is His splendor they have seen.

"They will be called...a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor" (Isaiah 61:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!