July 20, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 232: God of David


God of David

"The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever." (Psalm 23:1-6 NLT)

The Lord was David's shepherd because He is Yahweh-Rah, the Good Shepherd: "God...has been my shepherd all my life to this day" (Genesis 48:15).

The Lord let David rest in green meadows because He is the Resting Place: "This is the resting place, let the weary rest" (Isaiah 28:12).

The Lord led David beside peaceful streams because He is the Living Water: "Lord, you are...the spring of living water" (Jeremiah 17:13).

The Lord renewed David's strength, because He is our Strength: "O my Strength, to you I sing praises, for you, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love" (Psalm 59:17).

The Lord guided David along right paths because He is the Divine Leader: "Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way" (Deuteronomy 8:2).

The Lord was close to David even in the dark valley because He is the Lamp: "You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light" (2 Samuel 22:29).

The Lord protected and comforted David because He is our Refuge: “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1).

The Lord made a feast for David in the presence of his enemies because He is the Victor: "Now I know that the Lord gives victory to His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven with mighty victories from His right hand" (Psalm 20:6).

The Lord honored David by anointing His head with oil because He is the One Who sets up kings: "Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever. to whom belong wisdom and might. He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding (Daniel 2:20,21).

The Lord filled David's cup to overflowing because He is our Portion: "God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26b).

The Lord pursued David with His unfailing love and goodness because He is the Faithful God: "Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments" (Deuteronomy 7:9).

The Lord gave David a place in His house forever because He is our Home: "Lord, you have been our home since the beginning. Before the mountains were born and before you created the earth and the world, you are God. You have always been, and you will always be" (Psalm 90:1,2).

And all God was to David, He is to us.

* * * * * *
God, You are my Shepherd and my Home and everything in between, as you were to David. Break and heal and mold and shape and change my heart as you did his, so that my heart, too, might look like Your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!