June 1, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 183: Bridegroom

Bridegroom

"The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete." (John 3:29 NIV)

I sometimes joke that I married my husband for his last name.

My maiden name is the very German "Guetschow" (pronounced exactly like it doesn't look..."good show"), and if I had a quarter for every time a new teacher in school was going down her class list alphabetically by last name and paused uncertainly in the "G" territory...well, let's just say I'd have a good haul for free coin-exchange day at my credit union.

For the record, my absolutely wonderful husband had (and has) countless good qualities far more important than his simple surname, but I was quite happy to trade "Guetschow" for "Spencer." (Also for the record, this is not any kind of commentary on women who keep their maiden names.)

I was happy to take my husband's name: his history, his heritage, his reputation. I was also happy to have a new designation: wife.

Male or female, married or no, all who follow Jesus are part of the Church, His bride. And as "brides" of the Bridegroom, we take His name, and we are given new designations.

We might say our "maiden name" was "sinner," but the Bridegroom says we are the Savior's saved.

We might say our maiden name was servant, but the Bridegroom says we are the Master's friend.

We might say our maiden name was lost, but the Bridegroom says we are the Shepherd's found.

We might say our maiden name was judged, but the Bridegroom says we are the Advocate's acquitted.

We might say our maiden name was defeated, but the Bridegroom says we are the Victor's victors.

Beloved, you are the Bridegroom's bride. He gave you His name. Wear it radiantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!