June 16, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 198: Abba


Abba

"So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, 'Abba, Father.'" (Romans 8:15 NLT)

I didn't meet my dad until I was eight months old, on account of the war. We've been making up for lost time ever since.

Because my dad is who he is, I have an idea who Abba is.

Abba—an Aramaic word equivalent to our English "daddy"—evokes the image of a small child climbing onto the lap of a loving, caring, strong, safe father.

These are characteristics of my own dad, whom I often still call "Daddy," and I am so grateful for them and for him. I do not have to fight my past memories or my present realities to appreciate, cherish, and love this name of God.

Yet I understand this is not the case for everyone. I know this is not how it is for some of you, dear friends. For some of you, the image of Abba wars against the fact of a father who was absent or disinterested or worse...maybe far worse.

How my heart goes out to you. But even more than that, how God the Father's heart goes out to you.

He knows the track in your mind that runs on automatic repeat and distorts your image of Himself as Abba.

There is another father who wants that track in your head to run forever: the enemy of all that is good whose name is the father of lies (John 8:44).

But by the power of God's Spirit in you, Abba writes over that track of lies with His truth.

If the false track tells you a father cannot be trusted, the truth track tells you that Abba is the Covenant-Keeper.


If the false track tells you a father is selfish, the truth track tells you that Abba is the Giver of every good gift.

If the false track tells you a father will let you down, the truth track tells you that Abba is the Lifter of your head.

If the false track tells you a father will abandon you, the truth track tells you that Abba is the Rescuer.

Run to Abba today. Feel His strong arms pull you onto His lap. And hear His voice of truth telling you, "My child, my child...oh how I love you. All I am, I am for you."

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this, thank you for sharing it. I had a father who loved me but was very disinterested and hands off. As a believer, I love and cherish His words and I love this verse which reminds me He is ever present, ever loving.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!