May 30, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 181: His Name Is Our Refuge


His Name Is Our Refuge

**A Names of God guest post by Shannon Lenz.**

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling.” Psalm 46: 1-3 


It’s been a struggle all my life. 

Anxious thoughts, worries of worst-case scenarios, the urge to be in constant control. When troubles come, I often try to plan my way through it with plan A, B, and even C. But as I’ve gotten older, my struggle with anxiety has only gotten worse. Despite all my well-laid plans. Despite numerous insurance policies. Despite my hard-working husband’s job. Despite my family’s mostly good health and access to well-respected doctors within our reach. 

Why do I continue to struggle so much even though I have done my due diligence to protect my family and safeguard our future? Because I know it’s not enough. Troubles will still come. And I am powerless to stop them. I want to be in control. But I have come to the end of myself enough to know that I am not in control. Thankfully, I believe that there is a purpose in this life-long struggle of mine. I believe that God is showing me that He is our Refuge. Our only refuge. The only place where we are truly safe. 

My fears are not from Him. But He is using them to draw me to Himself. And when I seek my refuge in Him, I find Him. He is there with me. He is very present. And He shows up to help me through my troubles so many different ways. Our homes are not our refuge. Our country is not our refuge. Our jobs, bank accounts, insurance policies, healthcare systems, and retirement plans are not our refuge. 

Jesus. Our refuge is His name alone.

Oh God, Your name is our refuge. Help me to make it known.

Shannon Lenz is a writer with a passion for studying God’s word. On her blog, Shannon Lenz: My Faith-My Family-My Stories (shannonlenz.com), she shares what God is teaching her through His word and through her experiences as a wife and mom. Her writing has also been published at Her View From Home. You can find her on Facebook at @ShannonMLenz.

Shannon is a former teacher turned stay-at-home mom. When she’s not writing or chasing kids, she’s reading a book or singing (in the car, at the kitchen sink, or with the praise team at church). She makes her home in Giltner, Nebraska with her husband, Stuart, their two small children, Colton and Millie, and their faithful fur-baby, Maverick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!