April 25, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 146: All in All


All in All

"Christ is all, and is in all." (Colossians 3:11 NIV)

I have a bad habit I need to break. 

Okay, I have several habits I could stand to kick to the curb, but the one I'm thinking of at the moment is my tendency toward an "if I just/then" mindset.

My mental repeat loop goes like this: "if I can *just* get past that thing I'm dreading or don't want to do or am stressed about, *then* I will have peace." Or, "if I can *just* hit that mark/achieve that goal/get to that particular point, *then* I will be satisfied." 

Of course, you see my folly here. I never do get to "then," or if I do, I never stay there very long. I'm settling for part instead of pursuing all.

A pauper instead of the Prince of Peace.
A pebble instead of the Rock.
A maybe instead of the Yes of God.
A bandage instead of the Healer.

Jesus—the All in All—offers us the whole, not just part. He offers us completion, not just a start. 

I need to ask God to overhaul my "just/then" default setting. Instead of thinking, "If I can just get past...then..." I need to pray, "God, help me to do the next thing You're calling me to do today with excellence and gratitude."

And instead of always trying to hit some mark or win some prize I think will bring me contentment, I need to unclench my fists and offer that longing to God as a sacrifice. 

"Here, God, take my desire for this thing I want. I give it to you as an offering. Make me want the whole of You more than I want a sliver of what You can give me. Move my mind and heart to know that You are not just some means to a treasure; You are the treasure. Help me to surrender my some and to find in You my all."

*   *   *   *   *   *
Song suggestion: this absolutely gorgeous version of "You Are My All in All;" Keith Lancaster & The Acappella Company; from "Awesome God: A Capella Worship;" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!