March 1, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 91: Victor


Victor

"Now I know that the Lord gives victory to His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven with mighty victories from His right hand. (Psalm 20:6 CSB)

Braveheart is one of my husband's favorite movies. This is not a movie I watch with him, but I've heard him talk about it enough to know that it is inspired by the true story of Sir William Wallace, a Scotsman who led an uprising against an English tyrant. Wallace fought valiantly, and his efforts ultimately brought about the independence of Scotland—but not while he was alive to see it.

One reason
I don't watch this movie with my husband is because it does not have what I consider to be a happy ending: Wallace comes to a gruesome demise, which, according to my husband's research, is actually softened in the movie. William Wallace was a great warrior, but he was not a victor—at least not insofar as he knew when his life was decidedly over. 

But God. 

God is not only a God who wars; He is a God who wins. 

He is both Warrior and Victor.

When we, in faith, choose His side, we win, too. And love is always the greatest victory.

This is how love wins
Every single time.
Climbing high upon a tree
Where someone else should die.
This is how love heals
The deepest part of you.
Letting himself bleed into
The middle of your wounds.

This is what love says,
Standing at the door,
You don't have to be
Who you've been before.
Silenced by his voice,
Death can't speak again.
This is how love wins.

("How Love Wins;" Steven Curtis Chapmam; from Music Inspired By The Story; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwBDLGuwTns.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!