March 8, 2019

10 Things We’ll Love All Over Again When We Binge-Watch “Little House on the Prairie” on Amazon



Amazon just announced that all nine seasons of Little House on the Prairie will be available for streaming on Prime, and Little House fans everywhere are rejoicing and clearing their schedules to watch Laura move from the little house on Plum Creek to that big place she and Almanzo inherited and turned into a boarding house in the last (sob) episodes.

Here’s what'll have us sighing with contentment all over again. (Non-LH fans, no offense taken if you want to skip this Little House love fest. Just let us have our moment.) 


1. What a great father Pa was. He could always make Laura feel better, and his comfort and wisdom were the real deal. I especially loved when Laura thought she’d found gold, only to find out it was fool’s gold. She told Pa, “I was going to buy you so many things,” and he told her, “You give us everything we need every day of our lives. You give us love, respect, and joy.” As a parent myself, I’d take that trifecta over the giant white mansion Laura dreamed about any day.

2. Mrs. Oleson and Nellie: the villains we loved to hate. Plus, the redeeming power of love once Percival came on the scene.

3. The foundation of faith, woven into the fabric of daily life.

4. Pioneer wardrobe simplicity. Laura had, what, half-dozen dresses over the entire course of the series? Some days, I think this would make things so much easier in my medium-sized house in the country.

5. The humor. (Laura: "I hate that Nellie Oleson." Ma: "Laura, don't say 'hate.' Don't even think hate. I'm sure Nellie must have some fine qualities." Pa: "Your ma's right. And on the way home, we'll try to think of one.") I don’t care if some people think it’s cheesy; I find it soothing, like comedy comfort food. I don’t need hand-cut artisan French fries sprinkled with truffles some restaurant’s chef foraged for in a French woodland; just give me mashed potatoes. (Which, not coincidentally, I’m pretty sure they ate on LH.)

6. That snowed-in Christmas. Say what you will about winter and the schmaltzy stories they told while the little house got buried in snow; as a mom, that’s my dream—all my people, gathered around, forced by the elements into a giant familial sleepover.

7. Going back in time...then going back to our indoor plumbing and washing machines.

8. The obvious anachronisms. Really, Mary: French-manicured nails at your wedding?

9. Thinking how cozy Mary and Laura’s bed in the loft looked…and then being really glad someone invented the pillow-topped mattress.

10. The comfort of home. “I’ve decided something,” Laura says in one of the first episodes. “Home is one of the nicest words there is.” I couldn’t agree more, Laura…I couldn’t agree more.

3 comments:

  1. Yaaaayyyy! And now when I watch it, I'll just pretend you're watching alongside me! Also, I now want to eat both a giant bowl of mashed potatoes AND those fancy-pants truffle fries...tonight's pizza surely won't measure up! And finally, I know I've only done it a month at a time in the summers, but I soooo don't think I'd need to come back for the indoor plumbing and washing machines. :D (as a side note, did I ever ask you if you'd watched the Pioneer House shows on PBS??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lisa, my Lisa! What a delight to see this comment from you...even BETTER than LH on Amazon! Sorry to inspire a craving, but I can only imagine how yummy your Friday-night pizza was! We're on for it tomorrow...tonight was neither truffle fries nor mashed potatoes but homemade quickie ricotta, per my college girl's request before she goes back to school Sunday. (Sob!). And YES, I did see Pioneer House (and the others...Victorian House? And something else?). WOW. It was just too much like a game and drama. I just wanted a LH reenactment! ;) Love and hugs to you, sweet friend! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, let me drop my warm thanks to you for this dedicated project and perhaps I also leave a thanks to Amazon also for bringing such announcement to bring all the sessions of The Little House on the Prairie before us. Surely it was a go fast go temptation. Love your work fabulously. BTW for making sure the cozy and sound sleep boho duvet covers perhaps will be one of the best bedding friends.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!