January 29, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 60: Deliverer


Deliverer

"But as for me, I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; LORD, do not delay." (Psalm 70:5 NIV)


To know God as our Deliverer is to know Him as Savior and Rescuer and Protector. He sees our peril, reaches down, plucks us out of harm's way, and sets us in safety.

But when I was thinking about this name of God, my mind also went down a little side road, to my paternal grandfather. My dad's dad was a mail carrier for more than 30 years, beginning after he served in the Navy during World War II and ending when he retired from the United States Postal Service, to much acclaim and affection.

My grandpa made his deliveries faithfully, with an understanding that the letters and packages he was delivering had value to those who had sent them and to those who would be receiving them. He took care of his parcels, because he understood their worth and importance. He was a good and faithful public servant.

God our Deliverer knows our worth and importance and value better than anyone. He is the One who sends us to this earth to live the mortal lives He wills for us, and it is back to Himself He want us to return, via the way of faith, to live the eternal heavenly lives He wills for us. And so He takes care of us. He is mindful of us. He handles us gently. He protects us.

He sends us to the world for a little while and then delivers us back to Himself forever. And when we arrive in His heavenly presence, we can aspire to no greater accolade than to hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."


"My Deliverer is coming, my Deliverer is standing by.
My Deliverer is coming, my Deliverer is standing by. 
He will never break His promise though the stars should break faith with the sky. 
My Deliverer is coming, my Deliverer is standing by."

"My Deliverer," by Rich Mullins, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8-NxI_IWd0

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!