January 15, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 46: Glorious Sword


Glorious Sword

"Blessed are you, Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword. Your enemies will cower before you, and you will tread on their heights." 
(Deuteronomy 33:29 NIV)

As a piece of armor, a sword is an offensive weapon: it does damage, it initiates action against the enemy, it inflicts harm, it wounds. It works in conjunction with defensive pieces of armor, which fend off actions by the enemy.

Both kinds of weapons are crucial to victory. Our Glorious Sword goes on the offensive for us. He fights for us. He does righteous damage on our behalf. He goes into battle for us. But through the power of the Holy Spirit, He also puts Himself as our Sword into our spiritual hands via the sword of the Spirit...the one specifically offensive piece of the armor of God (Ephesians 6). With this sword, we can pierce the enemy. This sword, the word of God, offends the enemy like nothing else.

If you're looking for some "offensive" pieces of Scripture to use as weapons as you cooperate with your Glorious Sword to fight against the enemy, here are a few of my favorites. I like to keep these short and to the point, both because  the sword is pointy and because I need to be able to recall them quickly in the heat of battle.
  • "The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock!" (Psalm 18:46 NIV)
  • "The hand of the Lord is powerful." (Joshua 4:24 NIV)
  • "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13 NKJV)
  • "If God is for us, who can ever be against us?" (Romans 8:31 NLT)

And, finally, to paraphrase and personalize today's main verse: "Who is like you, a person saved by the Lord? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword. Your enemies will cower before you, and you will tread on their heights." 


Take THAT into battle today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!