January 3, 2019

365 Days of the Great Names of God, Day 34: Yahweh-Raah


Yahweh-Raah: The Lord My Shepherd

"The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need." (Psalm 23:1 NLT)

Today I'm borrowing two voices to speak about this beloved name of God.


The first is a portion of a lovely paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm from The Jesus Storybook Bible, by Sally Lloyd-Jones:

"God is my Shepherd
And I am his little lamb.
He feeds me
He guides me
He looks after me.
I have everything I need.

Even when I walk through the dark, scary, lonely places
I won't be afraid.
Because my Shepherd knows where I am.
He is here with me
He keeps me safe
He rescues me."

The second is this equally lovely song from Twila Paris:

"There's a great, broad road, through the meadow,
And many travel there.
But I have a gentle Shepherd
I would follow anywhere.
Up a narrow path, through the mountains,
To the valley far below,
To be ever in His presence,
Where He leads me, I will go."

Yahweh-Raah keeps us close. His eyes are always on us, his sheep. And though all others be safe in the sheepfold, if we are lost, He will always come looking for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to tell me what you really think. Years ago, I explained to my then-two-year-old that my appointment with a counselor was "sort of like going to a doctor who will help me be a better mommy." Without blinking, she replied, "You'd better go every day." All of which is just to say I've spent some time in the school of brutal honesty!